Thangbi Mani Festival
DAY 01: ARRIVE AT PARO
DAY 02: PARO
DAY 03: PARO – PUNAKHA
DAY 04: PUNAKHA – BUMTHANG
DAY 05: BUMTHANG
DAY 06: BUMTHANG
DAY 07: BUMTHANG – GANGTEY
DAY 08: GANGTEY – THIMPHU
DAY 09: THIMPHU – PARO
DAY 10: DEPART PARO
Thangbi Mani festival is one of the most popular festivals held in Chhoekhor Gewog in Bumthang. The highlight of the festival is the fire blessing (Mewang) ceremony, performed in an open ground. The lay monks perform purification rituals while people jump over flames to purify themselves. Several mask dances are also performed. It is believed that the festival would bring peace and prosperity and ensure better harvest for the entire community. Thangbi Mani is a unique festival which displays the rich tradition and celebrates the cultural heritage of this ancient monasteryThangbi Lhakang, founded in 1470 by the Shamar Rinpoche, Chokki Drakpa. The iron curtain at the entrance is said to have been cast by the saint himself. Thangbi Lhakhang is located beyond the Kurje Lhakhang.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE THANGBI MANI FESTIVAL TOUR
The ‘Thangbi Mani’ festival tour travels to Bhutan’s spiritual heartland to experience the rich pageantry and festive atmosphere of this unique festival.This Bhutan tour also explores the cultural western and historical central valleys of Bhutan.
- View sacred dances and rituals performed by monks and laymen in colourful costumes.
- Join in with locals in a special occasion of celebration, blessings and socialising.
- Explore Bhutan’s central valleys, rich with ancient historical and sacred Buddhist sites.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Experience Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard government approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.