DAY 01: ARRIVE PARO – THIMPHU
DAY 02: THIMPHU
DAY 03: THIMPHU– TRONGSA
DAY 04: TRONGSA – BUMTHANG
DAY 05: BUMTHANG
DAY 06 : BUMTHANG
DAY 07: BUMTHANG – GANGTEY
DAY 08: GANGTEY– PUNAKHA
DAY 09: PUNAKHA – PARO
DAY 10: PARO
DAY 11: DEPART PARO
Celebrate the start of the wild Matsutake mushroom season at the Masutake Festival alongside the people of the mystical Ura Valley. Ura is renowned for being one of the most picturesque valleys in the entire kingdom. Its inhabitants, the Uraps are a cheerful, hospitable people. Ura provides one of the most authentic experiences of traditional rural Bhutanese life available.
At the festival, visitors will learn to identify these fabled mushrooms as they embark on mushroom picking excursions around the pristine forests and hills. Prized by gourmets in Japan, this fungi is native to the forests of Ura valley in central Bhutan. Sample delicious Matsutake recipes, engage in songs and dances together with the locals, hike through the stunning Himalayan landscape and even relax in traditional open-air mineral baths.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE MASUTAKE FESTIVAL TOUR
Bhutan provides a stunning array of photographic opportunities, pristine landscapes, sacred and ancient sites, colourful festivals and a fascinating people. This ‘Ultimate Bhutan Photography Tour’ visits the many cultural and wilderness highlights of the western valleys of Paro, Thimphu, Punakha and the central areas of Trongsa and Bumthang.
- Experience the celebration of the beginning of the Masutake mushroom season at the Masutake Festival.
- Gain a fascinating insight into the rural communities of the stunning Ura valley in central Bhutan.
- Explore Bhutan’s central valleys, rich with ancient historical and sacred Buddhist sites.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Encounter Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard goverment approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.