Changangkha Lhakhang Festival
DAY 01: ARRIVE PARO – THIMPHU
DAY 02: THIMPHU
DAY 03: THIMPHU – PUNAKHA
DAY 04: PUNAKHA
DAY 05: PUNAKHA – PARO
DAY 06: PARO
DAY 07 : DEPART PARO
This unique festival takes place in Changangkha Lhakhang, the oldest temple in Thimphu. Built in 12th century, it is located on a ridge above central Thimphu, with a picturesque view west all the way along the vast Thimphu valley. It is a popular temple attracting a regular procession of pilgrims, and new parents seeking auspicious names for their newborns or blessings for their young children.
More intimate than the popular Thimphu Tsechu, this festival is an annual ritual which begins with an appraisal to the local deity “Domsap” followed by masked dances and traditional forms of Bhutanese dance and entertainment. It is believed that everyone must attend a Tshechu and witness the mask dances at least once to in order to receive blessings and wash away their sins. Every mask dance performed during a Tshechu has a special meaning or a story behind it and are performed by Changangkha lama’s.
This festival takes place at approximately the same time as the more popular events in Bumthang. This one is ideal for this with limited time who cannot travel into the central valleys, yet would like to witness this unique expression of Bhutanese history and culture.
CHANGANGKHA LHAKHANG FESTIVAL TOUR
Experience this annual ritual which begins with an appraisal to the local deity “Domsap” followed by masked dances and traditional forms of Bhutanese dance and entertainment. It is believed that everyone must attend a Tsechu and witness the mask dances at least once to in order to receive blessings and wash away their sins. This Bhutan tour also explores all of the highlights of Bhutan’s western valleys, including the famous Taktsang Monastery at Paro, Punakha Dzong, and the many sites of Bhutan’s capital, Thimphu.
- Witness unique dances and rituals performed by the Royal Bhutan Army rather than monks or lay people.
- Join in with locals in a special occasion of celebration, blessings and socialising.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard government approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.