DAY 01: ARRIVE PARO
DAY 02: PARO
DAY 03: PARO – THIMPHU
DAY 04: THIMPHU
DAY 05: THIMPHU – TRONGSA
DAY 06: TRONGSA – BUMTHANG
DAY 07: BUMTHANG
DAY 08: BUMTHANG – PUNAKHA
DAY 09: PUNAKHA
DAY 10: PUNAKHA – PARO
DAY 11: DEPART PARO
Paro Tsechu is one of the most popular festivals in Bhutan. Featuring dances performed by trained monks and laymen in amazing masks and costumes, Tsechus (festivals) are one of the best ways to experience the ancient living culture of Bhutan. A Tsechu is a Buddhist festival in honour of Guru Rimpoche, the saint who brought Buddhism to Bhutan. A highlight of the Paro Tsechu is the unfurling of the silk Thangka – so large it covers the face of an entire building and is considered one of the most sacred blessings in the whole of Bhutan. The ‘Thangka, known in Bhutan as a ‘thongdroel’ is a religious picture scroll, and is only exhibited for a few hours at daybreak on the final day of the festival enabling the people to obtain its blessing. This holy scroll “confers liberation by the mere sight of it” (the meaning of the word ‘thongdroel’ in Bhutanese). This tour also visits sacred sites in Paro, Thimphu, Punakha, Trongsa and Bumthang.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PARO TSECHU TOUR
The ‘Paro Tsechu’ festival tour includes one of Bhutan’s most popular festivals. Join locals in a colourful celebration of Bhutanese culture and faith. This Bhutan tour also explores the cultural western and historical central valleys of Bhutan.
- View sacred dances and rituals performed by monks and laymen in elaborate costumes.
- Join in with locals in a special occasion of celebration, blessings and socialising.
- Witness the unfurling ceremony of the sacred ‘thongdroel’ scroll at daybreak.
- Explore Bhutan’s central valleys, rich with ancient historical and sacred Buddhist sites.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Experience Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Traverse beautiful landscapes from lush valleys to dense forests.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Airfare into Bhutan including taxes.
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard government approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.