Dagala Thousand Lakes Trek
DAY 01: ARRIVE PARO
DAY 02: PARO
DAY 03: PARO – GUR (4-5 hours)
DAY 04: GUR – WATACHING (5 hours)
DAY 05: WATACHING – LABATAMA (4-5 hours)
DAY 06: LABATAMA – PANKA (5-6 hours)
DAY 07: PANKA – TALAKHA MONASTERY (5-6 hours)
DAY 08: TALAKHA MONASTERY – THIMPHU
DAY 09: THIMPHU
DAY 10: THIMPHU – PUNAKHA
DAY 11: PUNAKHA – THIMPHU
DAY 12: THIMPHU – PARO
DAY 13: DEPART PARO
The Dagala Thousand Lakes Trek passes by picturesque lakes, Alpine meadows, abundant wildlife and many yak herder camps set to a backdrop of magnificent mountainous landscapes. The centrepiece of this communion with nature is time spent exploring the high altitude lakes overflowing with trout and mystical history. It is a moderate trek with mostly short trekking days, but includes a few steep climbs. This trek is a great option for those with a desire to experience the variety of flora and fauna in Bhutan, and capture a glimpse of the local nomadic lifestyle. Also includes a tour of the fascinating sites of Thimphu and Paro.
Season: Apr – Sep and October.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAGALA THOUSAND LAKES TREK
The Dagala Thousand Lakes Trek passes through a stunning variety of scenery set to a backdrop of magnificent mountains. It is a moderate trek with mostly short trekking days, but includes a few steep climbs. Also includes a tour of the fascinating sites of Thimphu, Punakha and Paro.
- Traverse Alpine meadows, high mountain passes, lakes, abundant wildlife and yak herder camps.
- Explore high altitude lakes overflowing with trout and mystical history.
- Capture a glimpse of the local nomadic lifestyle.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Experience Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Trek and drive over high mountain passes affording sensational views of the Himalayan peaks.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TREK DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours and treks are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing, subject to the trek taking place during the trekking season as identified in the itinerary overview above. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour and trek to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design this Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TREKS:
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking trekking guide/tour leader.
- Cook and camp hand who will take care of camp chores and provide wholesome meals.
- Services of horsemen who will look after the yaks & ponies that transport luggage and camp gear.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard government approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.