Gateway to Bhutan
DAY 01: BAGDOGRA/SILIGURI – PHUENTSHOLING
DAY 02: PHUENTSHOLING – THIMPHU
DAY 03: THIMPHU
DAY 04: THIMPHU – PUNAKHA
DAY 05: PUNAKHA – THIMPHU – PARO
DAY 06: PARO
DAY 07: DEPART PARO
This cultural tour is ideal for those wishing to enter Bhutan from the Indian state of Western Bengal via the southern overland border gateway of Phuentsholing. Beginning with a breathtaking journey on roads surrounded by lush green tea plantations with breathtaking views of the Himalayan foothills, this tour explores the highlights of Bhutan’s western valleys. Enjoy the many cultural sites of Thimphu, Bhutan’s capital including the National Memorial Chorten, the National Library, the arts and crafts school and Tashichhoedzong before crossing the 3050m Dochula Pass into the sub-tropical Punakha Valley featuring the incredible the Punakha Dzong and Chimi Lhakang, temple of the ‘Divine Madman’. Continue on to the bustling market town of Wangdue before returning to the beautiful Paro Valley to explore the Ta Dzong Museum, Rimpong Dzong with its wooden cantilevered bridge and the incredible Taktsang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest), perched on a cliff face 900 metres above the valley floor. We highly recommend combining this tour with a visit to the renowned Indian hill station of Darjeeling and Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE GATEWAY TO BHUTAN TOUR
The ‘Gateway to Bhutan’ cultural tour explores all of the highlights of Bhutan’s western valleys, and is ideal for those wishing to enter Bhutan from the Indian state of Western Bengal via the southern overland gateway of Phuentsholing.
- Journey through the beautiful Himalayan foothills in Southern Bhutan.
- Combine your Bhutan cultural tour with the Indian states of Sikkim and West Bengal.
- Discover some of the most sacred Buddhist monasteries and temples in the Himalaya.
- Experience Bhutan’s unique culture up-close with farmhouse visits and village excursions.
- Visit many cultural attractions including medieval fortresses (Dzongs), markets and museums.
- Hike up to the famous Taktsang Monastery, perched on a cliff 900m above the valley floor.
- Marvel at the elaborate and ancient wall paintings and carvings in Dzongs and temples.
- Incorporate a Value-Added Option such as a cooking lesson or meditation session with a monk.
To view more information about some of the townships that are featured in this tour, please visit the Township Highlights page.
BHUTAN TOUR DATES:
All of our Bhutan tours are private, tailor-made journeys for independent travel on dates of your choosing. We can easily customise your Bhutan tour to spend more in the places doing the activities that you are interested in. Please click on the ‘Tailor-Design This Tour’ tab above to begin customising this tour to your requirements. This tour can be experienced all year around.
WHAT WE INCLUDE IN OUR TAILOR MADE BHUTAN TOURS:
- Bhutan Tourist Tariff Royalty & Visa fees.
- All private excursions and transfers in superior air-conditioned vehicle.
- Local English speaking guide/tour leader.
- Experienced driver.
- Accommodation in carefully selected, highest standard government approved hotels & guesthouses.
- All meals in Bhutan.
- All entrance fees and permits.
- All personal expenses such as bars, beverages, laundry, telephone and tips.
- Medical / Travel Insurance.